"This is it to be a man of the highest type. To be and not seem; to do and not simply to talk; to have the right ideal, the true motive and patiently to transform conduct in accordance with it..." - Ossian Everett Mills

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Success is matched by failure, blah blah blah...

Hello,

Well, another day gone, another wealth of knowledge absorbed at college. Had a pretty good day until I learned that being a freshman in band sucks. I haven't experienced failure in such a long time that I've hit that depression point where I have to realize people are better than me. Or something like that...

Basically, I got last chair in the last band. Which really sucks. Now, I know what you're thinking; "Man, he must've had a horrid audition..." Well, stand corrected, because my audition was fine, better than I expected even. So I've come to the conclusion that it's all based on stupid seniority and politics and all that crap. Oh well. I've never played such a low part before, so maybe this can be viewed as a learning experience. I'll try not to be bitter, even though I know that the results of some of the higher players are totally not deserving of their talent. I'm a freshman, though. I know I where I stand on the totem pole, however (pulling a bit of a Kanye move here), my section leader and good friend did not deserve the position she received. She deserved way better. And it's just crap.

Anyway, on a slightly more positive note, had round two of my Intro to Music Ed. class today, and it is seriously the greatest learning experience I've ever gone through in the history of forever. I guess that's for now, and I apologize for my little rant there.

Tomorrow consists of more classes, no marching rehearsal though! I get to get all spiffed up in my Pride uniform, and go take pictures, then we get to do a philanthropy thing for ALS disease (I think so, at least). Pretty pumped about that!

I'll be home this weekend!

1 comment:

  1. LOVED having you home last weekend ... and waiting for another blog post ... patiently. :o)

    ReplyDelete